The Alex Dubé Scholarship Program is named for former dancer, dance advocate and President of Career Transition For Dancers Alex J. Dubé, whose deep commitment to the well-being of dancers expanded over the course of his 30-year career. Mr. Dubé began his professional experience with dance as a tap dancer before studying modern dance and ballet at the Robert Joffrey School. He later founded the first agency dedicated to representing dancers, before becoming the Administrator of Dance for the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA). Mr. Dubé’s final career move in 2001 was as President of Career Transition For Dancers where he spearheaded fundraising and distribution of scholarships to thousands of dancers nationally.
Through the Alex Dubé Scholarship Program, Career Transition For Dancers supports the education of dancers in building their next professional platform to enhance their employability.
Five one-time awards of $10,000 will be distributed yearly to dancers enrolled in accredited graduate degree programs from the Alex Dubé Scholarship Program Endowment.
One-time Actors Fund Awards of $2,000 will be distributed to select dancers who do not receive an Alex Dubé award.
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Attend The Career Center Orientation (Monday or Thursday session, by March 21)
- Consult with an Entertainment Community Fund Career Counselor to discuss the education plan and career goals (consultation must occur before April 1 and after applicant has attended The Career Center Orientation)
- Have a performing dance career of five years or more within the last 20 years (years need not be consecutive)
- Have 70+ weeks or more of paid dance employment in the United States
- Have total earnings of a minimum of $40,000 arrived at by combining the annual gross income of the five or more years of a performing career
- Demonstrate a financial need
- Submit a completed application with supporting documentation
Our 2022 timeline will be as follows:
- Applications will be accepted March 1-April 15
- Awards will be announced in July
FOR ASSISTANCE, PLEASE CONTACT:
(we provide assistance nationally)
Eastern & Central Regions
212.221.7300 ext. 259
323.933.9244 ext. 450